Image Map

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Candy Corn Decimals

Hey Y'all!

Happy Fall. I absolutely love fall. It's my favorite season. I love the weather (it's especially gorgeous here in Northern Nevada this time of year) and the fact I get to smell and eat everything pumpkin.

So since the seasons are changing, it was time for my next door teaching friend and I to change our bulletin board and we decided to go with a popular one from last year - Candy Corn Decimals. I love this bulletin board because it is so easy and quick, the kids really enjoy it, and it can be adapted and used many different ways!

We have been spending weeks on decimals, and I mean weeks. This year we were instructed that we could only teach green or major CCSS math standards during our 75 minute math block. So according to our district pacing guide that means decimals galore. I love teaching decimals but I'm to the point where I'm about to barf if I have to teach another day of decimals and place value. However when my friend mentioned we do this bulletin board again I got so excited. I totally forgot about it.

Remember how I mentioned it's super simple? I wasn't lying. My kids had the option of just creating their own decimal or rolling our place value dice. Of course, they all chose to roll the dice.

Students wrote the standard form of their decimal on the top piece of their candy corn. They then wrote the word form on the middle and expanded form on the bottom piece. This year I had students cut and glue before writing their decimals on. I don't really think it makes much of a difference, to be honest.











I love this because it is simple and can be used for a wide range of grades! You could have second graders do a whole number and show it in the three forms, or even what it would look like with a base ten drawing. You could third graders do a multiplication fact, draw an array, and write a story problem. Like I said, so many ways to use it and really such a quick and cute bulletin board display!

If you click on the following image I've created a template for you to use. Hurry, it's free in my store until this Friday 10/9/15!


I'd love to hear how you used this in your class! :)


PS - Does anyone know how I can make background of the square transparent on my self-made button? LOL


Happy Teaching!








No comments:

Post a Comment