Image Map

Friday, October 30, 2015

Mini Book Foldable Using Manila Envelopes!

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you love this idea as much as I do. I've Periscoped about it twice and I promised to post the easy-peasy steps on here for you all!

I learned about these awesome books when I attended the NSTA Conference in Reno last week. There was a session on Dinah Zike's life changing foldables - so of course I was there! This is what we made and I haven't been able to stop thinking abou them since. I'm currently working on making one for teaching Text Structures to my fifth graders, and we will be making one for our matter unit in science as well!

Here's a sneak peak at the one for Text Structure. It's still got a long way to go this weekend before it's ready!

Alright my loves! Here we go! I promise, this is super easy! 

What You'll Need:
  • A manila envelope {I would use the large size possible}
  • Scissors
  • Bottled Glue{at the conference they recommend Elmer's Glue All, but I didn't have any at home so I just used what I could find}



You'll want to start with the envelope horizontal. You'll fold it in half horizontally or like I like to say hamburger fold.

 Make sure you get a nice deep fold in it. The best way to do that is to take the handles of your scissors and press into the fold. 


Now you'll want to trim a bit off the bottom. This opens it up to create the pages...

Now, place your scissors so the envelope is inbetween the blades. You want to slice/cut the folder on both sides up to the  center fold. Don't cut past the fold - or you wont get the nifty pocket!


Do this on both sides..
Now you should have your middle page :)


Here's the final step. This is how you get the neato pocket - which is why I love this book so much. Honestly, if the pocket wasn't there I wouldn't be all about this.

With the "middle" page in your hand, take your glue and under the fold (in bewteen the two sides of the folder) place a small line of glue. This will form the "spine" of your mini-book. Press down, and let it dry.





Voila!!

 I would love to hear how you use this in your class! Please comment below sharing your idea! This book is great for all ages!


I love to connect with fellow teachers! Please feel free to reach out and contact me by clicking below!

                        www.instagram.com/erica_meislererilynmei@gmail.comhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Inspired-Teacher/1603555156596930www.twitter.com/ericameislerwww.pinterest.com/erilynmei


Happy Teaching!



No comments:

Post a Comment